The Admirer

Here’s something about me:
I look up to everyone, and not just because I’m short.

I find admirable things in other people very easily.

I admire people who are cool, who always seem to be in control. They carry themselves with so much confidence; they walk with their heads held high. Everything they say, no matter how casual it is, they say it with certainty. There are people who seem to know exactly who they are, or at least appear that way, and I admire that.

I admire those with maturity. I like how they might not share a lot of personal things about themselves, but when you get to know them, you realise so many more levels about them. I like that when I peek into their blogs or get a chance to talk for hours into the night, I can get a glimpse of the things they think about, the shades of their personality that are carefully hidden away for you to find.

I admire people who exude that radiance- that air which draws others to them like magnets. The person that everyone naturally flocks to, I wonder what it is exactly that makes that happen. Is it their smile, their confidence, their aptness at remembering everyone’s names (and covering it up when they don’t)? But you know what I’m talking about, because I bet you know someone like that too.

I like people who are kind in the little ways most of us don’t notice.

I like the people who always greet you when they see you, who smile as if they’re really glad you’re here.

I like the people whose love for God is evident in everything they do. Those with no reservation in speaking out loud what they believe in, reaching out to people, loving with Jesus’ fierce love. Those with God’s words written into their hearts and flowing from their lips. 

I like the people who give more than they will ever receive, who put in more time and effort and heart in caring for others. I like their humility, their love, their passion. And I want them to know that their efforts are not invisible, because I see them, I see them all.

And of course, I admire the people who write the words and sing the songs and paint the pictures that make my heart hurt.

I hope you know too, that I admire you.

Why? Because God made you.

And I think of all these people surrounding me in my life, all the people who I look up to, all their amazing qualities and gifts, their smiles and words and actions and prayers and hugs. The people who inspire me and the people I aspire to be.

And I wonder if I can become someone admirable too. 

Comments