What I read in 2017:

Happy new year! 2017 sure came and went in the blink of an eye.

This year was supposed to be my year of mostly freedom, since I only had two classes in the first semester to complete before graduation, and then the rest of the year was for myself to rest, relax and prepare postgrad applications. Because I assumed 2017 would be the year for myself, and that I’d have more time than ever this year, I chose to set a larger reading goal of 45 books. SURELY, I thought, SURELY I could read 45 books in the midst of my freedom.

…guess how I did?


I failed.

As usual. Once again, for the sixth consecutive year over all six years I’ve attempted a reading goal. And in the one year where technically, logically I should have the highest chance of success. Moreover, this year, I actually read THE LEAST books in a year than ever before. Oh, the bitter irony.

Well, anyway, let’s talk about the books. In 2017, I read a measly 24 books out of my desired 45.

1. The Lonely Polygamist – Brady Udall
2. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child – J.K. Rowling
3. The Scarlet Pimpernel – Emmuska Orczy
4. Naomi – Junichiro Tanizaki
5. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button – F. Scott Fitzgerald
6. A Perfect Crime – A Yi
7. The Nakano Thrift Shop – Hiromi Kawakami
8. The truth about love – Josephine Hart
9. The Screwtape Letters – C.S. Lewis
10. Lust, Caution and Other Stories – Eileen Chang
11. The End of the Affair – Graham Greene
12. Speak – Laurie Halse Anderson
13. The Reconstructionist – Josephine Hart
14. Laurinda – Alice Pung*
15. Five Star Billionaire – Tash Aw
16. Life in Outer Space – Melissa Keil*
17. The Importance of Being Earnest – Oscar Wilde
18. Liar – Justine Larbalestier*
19. Revenge – Yoko Ogawa
20. The Wangs vs. the World – Jade Chang
21. Daisy Miller – Henry James
22. We Have Always Lived in the Castle – Shirley Jackson
23. The Reader – Bernhard Schlink
24. The Sorrows of Young Werther – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe


No real stand-out books this year. There were a fair amount of decent and solid reads, but looking over this list, I can’t honestly say there were any exceptionally strong books for me this year.

General comments:

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child was laughable at best. I refuse to see it as a canonical sequel because I find it so lacking and inadequate compared to the quality of the original series. The new characters- the new generation and the children of the original cast- are the strongest point but they are unfortunately neglected and underdeveloped in favour of pursuing a ludicrous and unforgivably stupid storyline. 

Life in Outer Space was the worst book I read this year, if not one of the worst I have had the misfortune to come across. I let out my anger by writing a mean review already, so all I have to say is that it is shallow, juvenile, embarrassing and basically a terrible waste of paper. Very disappointing.

The Screwtape Letters was quite enjoyable to read.  I knew it was theological commentary presented in the form of a fable or a parody, but it actually went more in depth than expected, and really brought up all the complex feelings and struggles of living as a Christian, and addressed the delicate and hard-to-explain dangers and inclines towards sin.

We Have Always Lived in the Castle was intriguing in its dark concept and execution, it creates the atmosphere of isolation, victimization and danger well. The Importance of Being Earnest is good, simple fun.

I’d have to say The Reconstructionist and Revenge were the better books I read this year. The Reconstructionist was a strangely slow-paced story, but somewhat fascinating in that it created a feeling of discomfort underneath, and kept you digging and thinking about the secrets and the truth behind the narrator. There was also something strangely soft and poetic about the language and atmosphere it created, even in the final reveals- it felt like a distant fairy tale or dream and I think it was this atmosphere that stuck with me in the end.

Revenge is an amazing collection of short stories, and each one is so well-constructed, and all of them are tightly and carefully woven together. This is one of the strongest short story collections I have read, and it is definitely the best Yoko Ogawa work I have read. Hotel Iris wasn’t that impressive and The Housekeeper and the Professor was an absolute bore. But Revenge was great in that it brings multiple perspectives and a varied cast of interesting characters together, with the constant mystery hanging over your head. It gives you a sense of unrest and discomfort, and the language reeks of sinister thoughts and doings. With the complicated connection and relationship between each story and character, it also has high reread value, so I’d like to come back to it in a few years with a fresh and deeper analysis.

So that’s all for 2017.

For 2018, I’m adjusting my reading goal to a hopefully achievable 35. Let’s see if after seven years, I might finally complete it!

I’ve also been going through some personal tough times right now since the end of last year, but since I don’t like to write about my personal feelings, I’d like to persevere in my own way and come out of it when and if God so desires. I know I’ll get through it and I know I will be okay in the near future. So whether it be reading, or in other areas of my life, I’m hoping that next year I’ll have made it through and in 2018 I can tell you all about it with a smile.

Until then I guess! (Still don’t like blogging, so you are only ever guaranteed this one yearly post that is mainly about books)

Hope you all have a happy new year in 2018!


Comments